A collection of signs or any kind of graphic display to communicate a message or to promote a brand to a specific group is Signage.
In the era of the customer being the king, marketing is the key strategy for a profitable business model which aids in competitive advantage, corporate image, expansion of business, and brand image. Be it a product or service-based company. Over 90% of the information transmitted to the brain is visual, creative signs or designs play an essential part of a business’s overall marketing strategy. There are so many signages in the field but pylon signs is an essential one.
Importance of Signage:
- Advertising/marketing your business 24/7
- Attracting customers to walk through your doors
- Providing information about the brand and making a good first impression
- Providing health & safety warnings.
- Drawing attention to promotions.
Different types of Signage:
- Informational Signage also be known as departmental, directional, organizational, or wayfinding signage which is mostly placed indoors
- Exterior Signage to increasing exposure and to bring awareness
- Persuasive signage to influence consumer behaviors like offers on a particular item
- Digital signage which uses projection to display content such as digital images and videos
Other ways of Signage includes hoarding, floor graphics, retail point of sale, rail mounted, ground-mounted, building mounted, stand-offs, window graphic, sidewalk menu boards, vehicle graphics, monument signs, wall signs, 3D signs, lobby signs, and letters
Key elements of Signage:
- Colour combination
- Font & spacing
- Proper Placement
- Image complexity
- Clear message
Advantage of Signage:
- Increased customers
- Increased sales
- Relatively cost-effective in comparison to other forms, such as radio, television, and newspapers
- Low maintenance
- Brand visibility
The disadvantage of Signage:
- Unalterable once the sign is made or printed.
- Traditional or printed signage is not eye-catching as some of the flashy digital options.
- Technological Errors can occur in digital signs which can be costly to repair
- Digital signage is expensive and high-cost maintenance compared to printed signage
Based on survey analysis:
- Consumers have entered a store simply based on its signs
- Shoppers say that digital displays change what they buy because relevant information is placed near to the point of purchase
- People have told others about a business simply based on its signage
- Absence of signs or poor signage deters consumers from entering a place of business
- Businesses report that altering the mean by enhancing the visibility of their signage had an optimistic blow on trades and profits.
- Educational institutions see digital signage as crucial for the future of communication
- Legibility is considered as the most important characteristic of signs.
- Customers say an easy to read the menu is their top priority in a restaurant
- Patients could recall at least one message from a digital sign viewed in hospital
- Signs at the gym motivates people to exercise harder
Irrespective of the types of Signage used, it will be a marketing solution to a business as it sends the right message and helping customers find their way around, providing useful tips and information.